Adoveo

In late summer 2017 I joined a startup called Adoveo to help them improve their tool and service that they use to produce interactive-video-ads that later can be placed on a website online. Being the only UX designer in their small versatile team, I was fully responsible for interaction design, graphic design and usability testing.

Background

Adoveo was founded in 2015 and have worked with global companies such as Coca Cola, Adidas, Discovery and SAS. They also work close in a collaboration agreement with Schibsted and produce ads for their clients.

Goals

When I first started. The employees at Adoveo created the ads by themselves. Usually they got the material, copy and guidelines sent to them, with this they created the ads and after some back-and-forth communication for corrections with client this later led to deployment of the ads. This was very time consuming and they wanted a self-service tool for their users.

In their existing tool, interaction design and graphic design were somewhat inconsistent and there was to many alternatives and choices that could be made.

     Goals of the new service was to:

  • Provide a consistent user experience when navigating through the tool.
  • Not having to many steps/choices for the user.
  • Save time, energy and costs for their users, but also for Adoveos own employees.
  • Improving the design in general.

Design process

Since this was a new tool for me I immediately started to work with the tool, creating ads to learn as much as possible about the content I’m going to come across in my design. I needed to learn what input was needed from users and what users had to see and do in the service.

Our team at Adoveo consisted of 5 employees. Founder, full-stack developer, one front-end developer, marketing specialist and me as UX Designer. Aside from me the others had worked for about 1 year with tool and had experience with the tool.

I talked with the team and collected information about how they felt about the tool. What worked well, what didn’t work so well or was their something they needed that was missing.

I conducted research regarding competitors but couldn’t find anyone that had a equal product but looked into brands that worked with similar functionalities within the field of video marketing, banner ads, vouchers and ads.

Based on what I’d learned I started to produce some paper wireframes on how the tool would look like and users interaction with it. Since this was a tool with many functionalities where you need a big screen. I focused on creating wireframes for desktop.

Since we were such a small company I was able to show and discuss my sketches with the rest of the team often on a daily basis. By constantly keeping people (especially the developers) up to date we were able to minimize complaints and everybody felt part of the design.

After three months of researching, discussing and wireframing me and the team felt satisfied and I created a clickable mockup using Sketch and InVision. This was later used for usertesting.

User testing

The test users were given a task to build an ad campaign and one of the goals we sat was to complete this within 30 minutes. I used the Think Aloud method and sat next to the person taking notes as he or she moved and talked their way through the UI.

By using this method I easily discovered misconceptions which I later turned into actionable redesign recommendations.

How I felt

This was my first project working with a start-up. Things moved super quick and sometime things could shift focus into another direction. My work and role involved that I had to guide the team for what was best for the outcome of the product. Occasionally I had to pull the break and argue why we need to do this certain part and not wasting our time.

Future

The tool is being used today and being updated with the findings we got from the usability test.